Fiscal Year 2020- 2021
This past year our Endowment Fund provided funding benefitting our congregational family of over $475,000. This allocation supplements our clergy salaries, significantly supports our technology, communications and technical improvements, and provides many enrichments and programming. Following are highlights of how these funds impacted our congregation during this most unusual year:
SUPPORTING OUR CLERGY TEAM — $109,950
- A meaningful contribution to help support our clergy to serve our congregation, including the senior rabbinic and cantorial positions, as well as help in underwriting an interim cantor during this past transition year (Rabbi Jonathan Miller Enduring Legacy Fund and the Ruth & Marvin Engel Cantorial Chair).
- Partial funding of the Rabbi Emeritus retirement package (Miller Retirement Fund).
ENHANCING OUR PROGRAMMING — $125,210
ENHANCING WORSHIP & RITUAL
- High Holy Day enhancements last year included the magnificent choir, the lively contemporary family service led by Robin Berger, the beautiful flowers adorning the bima and a stipend for Julian Resnik to lead us in the marvelous Israel program on Yom Kippur afternoon (Ruth & Marvin Engel Cantorial & High Holy Day Choir Fund, Andrew Abroms Memorial Flower Fund and Figtree Fund).
CARING FOR OUR CONGREGANTS AND GREATER COMMUNITY
- Leadership training for our Temple president (Nina & Noman Cohen Next Generation Fund).
- Sponsorship of our annual Mitzvah Day, involving a morning of work on five (5) social action projects throughout the community and the marketing to promote our “Feeling Gelty” program during the Hanukkah season ((Hermione & Edward Friend Social Awareness Fund).
- Sponsorship of the Bari Weiss webinar focused on addressing antisemitism (Steiner Interfaith Fund)
- Creation of the wonderful “We Are In This Together” masks for each of our congregants (Hannah & Hyman Goldstein Volunteer Fund).
- Welcome bags which were delivered to each of our new members (Ellen & Jack Aland Membership Engagement Fund)
EDUCATING OUR CHILDREN
- A significant grant providing for Youth & Education administration and technology support to facilitate on-line learning throughout this year of social distancing (Gail & Jeffrey Bayer Fund for Religious Education).
- Several fantastic and engaging programs for all ages of our religious school including:
- Bible Players on the first day (Gail & Jeffrey Bayer Fund for Religious Education) and creative puppet show on the last day of school (Ives Family Religious School Fund)
- The Holocaust, Israel and yads programs specifically for our Temple teens (Lee & Stanley Elsas Teens Fund, Leah Marks Teen Education Fund and Betty & Robert Loeb Education Fund.
FOSTERING YOUTH INVOLVEMENT
- Six (6) students redeemed their bonds presented upon completion of their bar/bat mitzvah for participation in a Jewish activity (Max Friedman Youth Experience Bond)
- Another one of our young adults received a stipend to travel and represent Israel in the European Championships (I.E. Simon Scholarship Fund)
- Financial assistance scholarships and a recognition award enabled six (6) teens to participate in Jewish summer camps (Barbara Aland & Julian Aland Scholarship Fund, Betty Allenberg Goldstein Camp Jacobs Scholarship Fund, Diana & Sidney Patterson Scholarship Fund and Lester Siegel Scholarship Fund)
UNRESTRICTED OPERATIONAL SUPPORT
- Another $52,975 for unrestricted purposes was also provided.
ADVANCING OUR TECHNOLOGIES & COMMUNICATIONS — $62,320
- A significant contribution toward the camera technology upgrades in the Sanctuary to enhance our virtual coverage of our worship services (Margaret & Maurice Salloway Fund and Odess Technology Fund), as well as the funding to manually operate our cameras and webcast. The annual fees for this webcast are also underwritten each year (“Our Temple” Worship Anywhere Fund).
- Upgrade of the design platform (Leona & Marvin Cherner Fund and Reese Family Fund), plus the annual hosting fees for our Temple’s website: www.ourtemple.org
- Production of eleven issues of OurTemple, the monthly bulletin, and the weekly announcement programs distributed at Shabbat and holiday services.
PERPETUATING OUR DUES — $75,065
- Unrestricted operational support from sixteen (16) congregant families who have endowed all or a portion of their Annual Membership Commitment in perpetuity.
PRESERVING OUR FACILITIES — $60,000
- This meaningful contribution to our Capital Improvements Fund to help respond to the maintenance needs of our beautiful, yet aging, facilities.
SUSTAINING OUR CEMETERIES — $42,765
- Upkeep of our sections at Northside, Elmwood, Gadsden and Jasper cemeteries (Cemetery Care Fund and Gadsden Cemetery Fund)
Allocations from our Restricted Funds are indicated in italics;
all other grants were made possible from our General and Unrestricted Funds.