We are excited to extend an invitation to our parents, grandparents and special friends to be Discovery School Surprise Readers! We would love to have you come to school and travel around our classrooms and share the gift of reading stories with our children. It’s simple: sign up for the date that works best for you and we will have a wonderful selection of books for you to choose from and read aloud. Please fill out the form below to sign up to be our next Surprise Reader!
Why is reading aloud so important?
It turns out that reading aloud, a time-honored tradition, is actually a wonderful way of helping children to reach their full potential. Reading aloud is a great way of engaging with young children and promotes language development and early literacy skills. It is widely accepted that reading aloud is the single most important researched activity leading to language development and promotes early literacy skills such as:
- Book handling and naming
- Understanding how stories work
- Recognition of sounds and letters
- Knowledge of a wide range of vocabulary
- Ability to listen
Even young babies can benefit from read aloud practices!
- Builds motivation, curiosity and memory
- Helps children cope during times of stress or anxiety
- Takes children to places and times they have never been – enlarging and enhancing their worlds
- Creates a positive association with books and reading