A Video Message From Your Temple President:
January 2018 Update:
The Senior Rabbi Search Committee wanted to provide the following update on our work to identify our next permanent rabbi for Temple Emanu-El.
- After reviewing the first round of applications, the Search Committee brought in three candidates for the Senior Rabbi position. All three candidates had previously interviewed with other synagogues prior to coming to Birmingham. Each candidate ultimately accepted another position before we were able to select the best candidate for Temple Emanu-El.
- The Search Committee is ongoing and will continue working diligently until we find the right candidate for our congregation. At this time, we have reviewed several additional candidates and plan to invite at least one of these candidates to Birmingham in the near term.
- While the search continues, the Board of Directors is also working on a contingency plan that will allow us to move forward while we continue our search.
As we continue this process, we will provide regular updates in the Temple’s eNews.
Town Hall Meetings Planned: Additionally, Temple leadership will be hosting several Town Hall Meetings in the near future to provide additional updates.
November 2017 Update:
To better understand the needs of our congregation, we asked all adult members to complete a survey. The results of this survey can be found here.
May 2017 Update:
Helene Elkus and Glenn Fleisig accepted the invitation by Temple President Ben Weil to co-chair a Senior Rabbi Search Committee. The co-chairs then spoke with the following about a senior rabbi search and setting up a committee:
- President Ben Weil
- Executive Director Robin Gotlieb
- Interim Senior Rabbi Doug Kohn
- Rabbi Cindy Enger from Central Conference of American Rabbis (ccarnet.org)
- Rabbi Jan Offel from the Union for Reform Judaism (urj.org)
The co-chairs then created a senior rabbi search committee comprised of dedicated, insightful temple members representing the diverse constituency of our congregation. Joining Helene and Glenn on the search committee are Jack Aland, Rodney Barstein, Jeffrey Bayer, Robin Berger, Callie Blitz, Jackie Feldman, Sam Friedman, Fran Godchaux, Robert Levin, Ashley Metsky, Virginia Oleinick, Lynn Rathmell, and Amanda Sokol.