BECOME A MEMBER
Are you looking for a place to call your spiritual home? We are delighted that you are considering joining our Temple Emanu-El family. Established in 1882, our congregation is the oldest Reform Jewish synagogue in the state of Alabama. Our members include individuals and families of all ages – including multi-generational families, as well as those new to the Birmingham area. Many are taking advantage of our new $36/36” introductory plan for those under the age of 40. Additionally, our Membership welcomes Jews-by-choice, interfaith couples, and those of any sexual orientation.
The building we worship in, our long history and traditions, and our leading role in the greater interfaith community all serve as sources of immense pride. You will find that Temple Emanu-El is far more than a synagogue or merely a religious group – we are a dedicated “community” – a caring and supportive congregation that shares a culture of Jewish living. Developing Jewish spirituality and identity is a central mission as a synagogue. To that end, we offer a wide range of religious, educational, and community programs, including:
- Weekly and holiday worship services
- Pre-school Shabbat programs
- Religious School / Teens / Confirmation (K-10)
- Adult Education
- Tikkun Olam / Social Action
- Small groups created around member interests
- Brotherhood and Sisterhood auxiliaries
OUR TYPICAL MEMBERSHIP PROCESS
- Learn more about Temple Emanu-El – We invite you to download and review our membership packet, browse the website, and visit us on-line to view our Shabbat services.
- Meeting and Tour — Though not required, we would love to meet with you, give you a tour of our magnificent facilities, and discuss being a member of Temple Emanu-El. Please contact Monika Singletary, our Director of Congregational Engagement at (205) 933-8037, ext 213 or [email protected].
- Complete our Membership Application — Once you’re ready to join our congregational family, click here for our Membership Application.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL COMMITMENT OVERVIEW
Temple Emanu-El’s financial model is called our Annual Financial Commitment. We recognize, fully, that our Temple would not exist with you – our congregation.
- Sustaining Membership: $2,500 per family or $1,250 per individual is the sustaining amount per member necessary to maintain our sacred community. Each new member is encouraged to join at this Sustaining level.
- Under 40 years: Additionally, we recently launched a “$36/36” introductory plan for new members with an Annual Commitment rate of $36 for young individuals and families who are 36 years and younger, with a three-year step-up program to our Sustaining level by the age of 40.
While we ask members to participate at our Sustaining level, we understand that some may not be able to contribute this amount. Please know that we value the uniqueness of each congregant and are committed to ensuring that no one will ever be turned away from our congregation for the inability to contribute. If you require special accommodations to participate fully in synagogue life, please contact Danielle Barnette at [email protected] or 205.933.8037.
Security Assessment: You will also see on our financial forms that our congregation has an annual Security Assessment of $100 per family / $50 per individual, which, unfortunately in this increasingly violent world, is necessary to provide the precautions to help keep those within our walls safe from harm. This fee is in addition to our Annual Financial Commitment and is optional for those members under the age of 40.
Please see a summary of our Annual Financial Commitment categories below:
Ready to join? Click here to join today!
We invite you to join our Temple family – and explore all that this sacred community has to offer!